About The Artwork
Despite being self-taught and starting to paint very late, Rousseau impacted the art world as he was one of the first to paint landscape self-portraits. Usually, when an artist paints a self-portrait, it is nothing more than a self-portrait, but Rousseau added the element of landscape into his works. We can see a slight hint of the Eiffel tower in the background, the Seine river that runs through Paris and his first and second wife by the water.
Unlike most artists famous artists in history, Rousseau had no formal education in painting, and he didn’t even start painting full time until he was 49; in fact, he was working as a toll and tax collector before becoming an artist!
As we know, the journey of Rousseau has not been very straightforward, as he wanted to study law after high school but had to leave because he committed perjury, so he joined the army. After four years in the military, he moved to Paris and got a toll and tax collector job to support his mother, who had lost her house to their creditors.
However, despite his unorthodox path into art history, Rousseau always loved painting and did so during his spare time, and even exhibited at the salon for other independent artists. Unfortunately, no art critic ever took him seriously because of his lack of formal education, and the critics often said he painted like a child.
Despite being ridiculed by the critics, he was celebrated by one of the greatest artists of all time, Pablo Picasso. In 1908, Picasso was roaming the streets of Paris when he saw a Rousseau painting being sold to be painted over. As Picasso recognised the genius of his work, he bought the painting and organised a banquet to celebrate the works of Rousseau!
If there is one thing that the story of Rousseau teaches us, it is that we should never pay any mind to those who say we can’t, and we must pursue our passions to realise our potential as without taking the risk, we will never know.
- FSC certified poster made on thick and long-lasting matte (uncoated) paper from sustainably managed forests.
- Paper weight: 200 gsm / 80 lb
- Our wooden frames are produced from natural pine/oak wood. The frames are lightweight and easy to hang.
- Thickness: For Europe 20-25 mm /0.79"–0.98" and for the USA market thickness is 1.9 cm/0.75"
- Shatterproof, transparent plexiglass for the frames.
- Includes hanging kit, to hang in both portrait and landscape orientations.
- For indoor use
-The frame and poster are mounted together.
Stockholm Art House typically ships in 1-5 business days (Mon-Fri). Please know that we are doing our best to get orders out promptly.
Read more about our Shipping Policy
We try to keep returns and exchanges as simple as possible.
Every Stockholm Art House purchase is made to order and pays an artist. We certainly hope you love your item(s), but if you are experiencing any issues, we're here to help!
• If you receive a delivery, where one of our products is damaged in the delivery, wrong measurements from what you ordered, or does not match your expectations regarding quality, please contact us. We will replace shipping damages or bad-quality artwork. However, we may require proof of image or a detailed description/reason for the complaint in some cases. When approved, we will replace and send you a new product.
• We believe in 100 % customer satisfaction, and that is why we offer all customers a 30-day money-back guarantee on our products. If you are not satisfied with your artwork, you may return the item within 30 days of the order date for a full refund. All our art is produced on-demand with your specific choices. Please check your order thoroughly to avoid environmental impact and resource consumption.
Read more about our Refund Policy
All poster print papers are responsibly sourced and FSC certified from sustainably managed forests.
FSC-Certified Paper? When the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certifies that a paper is made of responsibly sourced wood fiber
Local production reduces carbon emissions. As a result of local production in 34 markets and reduced transportation distances, we reduce carbon emissions on each order.
Countries we produce products in:
Brazil, Canada, Chile, Mexico, USA, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Australia, China, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea.
On-demand production reduces waste and the use of resources. All products are digitally printed on demand and avoid excess production in landfills.
Our artworks are not mass-produced, and they are timeless. The artworks can be enjoyed by many generations to come.
With One Tree Planted, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we donate a tree for every order you place at Stockholm Art House.
Read more about our Sustainability work at Stockholm Art House