About The Artwork
The Obon festival is a Japanese festival that combines the two different beliefs of ancestral spirit and the customs of Japanese Buddhism that also honour the spirit of one's dead ancestors. The holiday has been celebrated for over 500 years in Japan and is today developed into a family reunion event that brings loved ones together all over Japan.
The Dance in the print is known as Bon Odori and is typical of the celebration.
Hiroaki Takahashi (高橋松亭)
For Takahashi, it all started with his uncle. Not only did he give him an apprenticeship to begin his artistic development, but he also gave him his nickname Shōtei.
His first paid job was with Japan's Imperial Household Department of Foreign Affairs. There he would copy the design of foreign ceremonial objects, which further deepened his artistic progress whilst exposing him to artistic movements from several different cultures.
After his time in the Foreign Affairs office, he moved on to gain his formal art education, where he also met his friend Terazaki Kogyo. Together, they found the Japan Youth Painting Society to solidify his influence on Japanese culture and immortalise his work.
In 1923, his studio was destroyed by a devastating earthquake, but this didn't stop him as he rebuilt and continued to supply Japanese woodblock art that inspired some of the greatest artists that we know today.
Takahashi's work also became appreciated by the masses as his work hangs in over ten different museums worldwide.
- FSC certified poster made on thick and long-lasting matte (uncoated) paper from sustainably managed forests.
- Paper weight: 200 gsm / 80 lb
- Our wooden frames are produced from natural pine/oak wood. The frames are lightweight and easy to hang.
- Thickness: For Europe 20-25 mm /0.79"–0.98" and for the USA market thickness is 1.9 cm/0.75"
- Shatterproof, transparent plexiglass for the frames.
- Includes hanging kit, to hang in both portrait and landscape orientations.
- For indoor use
-The frame and poster are mounted together.
Stockholm Art House typically ships in 1-5 business days (Mon-Fri). Please know that we are doing our best to get orders out promptly.
Read more about our Shipping Policy
We try to keep returns and exchanges as simple as possible.
Every Stockholm Art House purchase is made to order and pays an artist. We certainly hope you love your item(s), but if you are experiencing any issues, we're here to help!
• If you receive a delivery, where one of our products is damaged in the delivery, wrong measurements from what you ordered, or does not match your expectations regarding quality, please contact us. We will replace shipping damages or bad-quality artwork. However, we may require proof of image or a detailed description/reason for the complaint in some cases. When approved, we will replace and send you a new product.
• We believe in 100 % customer satisfaction, and that is why we offer all customers a 30-day money-back guarantee on our products. If you are not satisfied with your artwork, you may return the item within 30 days of the order date for a full refund. All our art is produced on-demand with your specific choices. Please check your order thoroughly to avoid environmental impact and resource consumption.
Read more about our Refund Policy
All poster print papers are responsibly sourced and FSC certified from sustainably managed forests.
FSC-Certified Paper? When the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certifies that a paper is made of responsibly sourced wood fiber
Local production reduces carbon emissions. As a result of local production in 34 markets and reduced transportation distances, we reduce carbon emissions on each order.
Countries we produce products in:
Brazil, Canada, Chile, Mexico, USA, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Australia, China, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea.
On-demand production reduces waste and the use of resources. All products are digitally printed on demand and avoid excess production in landfills.
Our artworks are not mass-produced, and they are timeless. The artworks can be enjoyed by many generations to come.
With One Tree Planted, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we donate a tree for every order you place at Stockholm Art House.
Read more about our Sustainability work at Stockholm Art House