About The Artwork
After returning home to Paris after being in the French army, Seurat rented a small studio in Paris and started working to develop his new radical style of pointillism that would allow him to carve out the new genre of neo-impressionism.
Using thousands of different points of colour instead of compact brush-strokes made him different from earlier impressionist works.
He also made several preparations which impressionists like Monet and van Gogh didn't do. A Sunday on La Grande Jatte took over four years to complete with all the sketches and studies!
After impressionism came post-impressionism, and Seurat was the leader. However, Seurat approached painting from a different angle than other artists. The mathematical precision to paint thousands if not millions of tiny dots close to each other creates an optical illusion for the viewer.
His innovative approach was not well met by critics and the established elite of the Paris art world as he was rejected by the main salon and was instead offered to exhibit it with independent artists. Still, Seurat rejected that and set up his own group of artists dedicated to pushing the needle further in the quest for innovative art.
With like-minded artists like Henri-Edmond Cross, Albert Dubois-Pillet and Paul Signac created their new group of artists. The Société des Artistes Indépendants continued to shape the post-impressionism artistic landscape.
As you can imagine developing a new style of impressionism and adopting your own technique of hundreds of thousands of points of colour was very time-consuming, and his artworks often took up to two years.
However, his hard work paid off as his works are today gracing the walls of the finest institutions such as the Art Institute of Chicago, the National Gallery in London, and the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.
- FSC certified poster made on thick and long-lasting matte (uncoated) paper from sustainably managed forests.
- Paper weight: 200 gsm / 80 lb
- Our wooden frames are produced from natural pine/oak wood. The frames are lightweight and easy to hang.
- Thickness: For Europe 20-25 mm /0.79"–0.98" and for the USA market thickness is 1.9 cm/0.75"
- Shatterproof, transparent plexiglass for the frames.
- Includes hanging kit, to hang in both portrait and landscape orientations.
- For indoor use
-The frame and poster are mounted together.
Stockholm Art House typically ships in 1-5 business days (Mon-Fri). Please know that we are doing our best to get orders out promptly.
Read more about our Shipping Policy
We try to keep returns and exchanges as simple as possible.
Every Stockholm Art House purchase is made to order and pays an artist. We certainly hope you love your item(s), but if you are experiencing any issues, we're here to help!
• If you receive a delivery, where one of our products is damaged in the delivery, wrong measurements from what you ordered, or does not match your expectations regarding quality, please contact us. We will replace shipping damages or bad-quality artwork. However, we may require proof of image or a detailed description/reason for the complaint in some cases. When approved, we will replace and send you a new product.
• We believe in 100 % customer satisfaction, and that is why we offer all customers a 30-day money-back guarantee on our products. If you are not satisfied with your artwork, you may return the item within 30 days of the order date for a full refund. All our art is produced on-demand with your specific choices. Please check your order thoroughly to avoid environmental impact and resource consumption.
Read more about our Refund Policy
All poster print papers are responsibly sourced and FSC certified from sustainably managed forests.
FSC-Certified Paper? When the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certifies that a paper is made of responsibly sourced wood fiber
Local production reduces carbon emissions. As a result of local production in 34 markets and reduced transportation distances, we reduce carbon emissions on each order.
Countries we produce products in:
Brazil, Canada, Chile, Mexico, USA, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Australia, China, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea.
On-demand production reduces waste and the use of resources. All products are digitally printed on demand and avoid excess production in landfills.
Our artworks are not mass-produced, and they are timeless. The artworks can be enjoyed by many generations to come.
With One Tree Planted, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we donate a tree for every order you place at Stockholm Art House.
Read more about our Sustainability work at Stockholm Art House